Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger asked for long-throws to be BANNED in bid to stop losing to Stoke, claims old enemy Pulis – The Sun

Source

TONY PULIS says his Stoke side rattled Arsene Wenger so much the Arsenal boss demanded the FA ban his Potters’ long throws.

The former City chief claims Wenger became completely obsessed with his side, particularly their long-throw expert Rory Delap.

1

Then Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger clashes again with ex-Stoke chief Tony PulisCredit: Getty Images – Getty

Wenger also asked for the FA to investigate the grass at Stoke’s ground – which he claimed was too deliberately grown too long to stop the Gunners’ fancy football, says Pulis.


ARSENAL NEWS LIVE: Follow for the latest Gunners news


The then Arsenal chief also dubbed Stoke a rugby team during their various sparring matches between 2008 and 2013.

Pulis says Wenger wanted to BAN throw-ins and replace them with kick-ins.

Arsenal defenders used to dread dealing with Delap’s long throws — but Pulis revealed he only discovered the midfielder’s special talent by accident.

Ex-Stoke chief Pulis told the BBC’s That Peter Crouch Podcast: “I did a coaching session and Patrick Vieira and Jens Lehmann were there and Vieira told me, ‘You were the only club Wenger talked about and tried to work on things but we just couldn’t beat you!

“He said, ‘We turned up for a cup game and we’d worked for two days on defending the long throw — and then Rory Delap was sub!’”

Pulis added: “We only found out Rory Delap could throw the ball like that when the lads had a competition. He picked it up and hurled it to the back post.

 

“I remember the first time Wenger called us a rugby team. It was the third time on the bounce we had beaten them at home.

“Wenger came one year and complained about the grass being too long.

“He wrote a letter to the FA. The referees and the linesmen had to come and measure the grass!”

Arsenal’s Alexandre Lacazette inhales from balloon 18 months after ‘hippy crack’ warning


www.thesun.co.uk

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related News

Joe Hart reveals he knew Man City axe was on cards as soon as Pep Guardiola took over in 2016 and ‘had a feeling’...

JOE HART has admitted that he was never wanted by Pep Guardiola once the coach took charge of Manchester City. The Spaniard was installed in...

Gunners ‘open transfer talks with Philippe Coutinho’, Dembele £37m option, Aubameyang LATEST – The Sun

ARSENAL are back in training as they prepare for the likely return of the Premier League next month. And they could be about to complete...

Rafa Benitez wants Newcastle return and is already eyeing John Stones and Ross Barkley transfers – The Sun

RAFA BENITEZ is ready to make an emotional return to Newcastle, according to reports. The Spaniard left the club last summer after refusing to sign...

Premier League fans face ballots to watch matches with clubs briefed on vastly-reduced crowds – The Sun

FOOTBALL fans face random ballots for match tickets next season due to the Covid-19 crisis. The Premier League’s chief medical officer Mark Gillett has predicted...

Man Utd players have felt safe since returning to training despite coronavirus, claims Jesse Lingard – The Sun

JESSE LINGARD says Manchester United players have felt perfectly safe since returning to training last week. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad returned to Carrington on Wednesday...